Where do I go for clinical or disease information?
Information is researched from the British Medical Journal and displayed in an easy to understand format.
Attempts to break the language barrier between Doctors and patients regarding disease and illnesses.
QRISK is a new calculator which works out your risk of getting heart disease. It has been developed by doctors and academics working in the UK National Health Service
Information on Healthier Living
Fast, free independent information from the Men"s Health Forum.
Women’s Health Concern
Women"s Health Concern is a charitable organisation which aims to help educate and support women with their healthcare by providing unbiased, accurate information.
Swindon Borough Council Healthy Living Programmes
Our local Borough Council provides a great number of courses and services to help patients maintain a healthy lifestyle. These range from weight management services and general fitness (e.g. cycling, walking, swimming, gym etc) through to specialist services such as Pulmonary and Cardiac Rehabilitation and Falls Prevention. Please click the link above to find out more.
The NHS Constitution was published on 21 January 2009. It was one of a number of recommendations in Lord Darzi’s report ‘High Quality Care for All’ which was published on the 60th anniversary of the NHS and set out a ten-year plan to provide the highest quality of care and service for patients in England
Aiming to personalise healthcare and provide information that will ‘allow patients to make meaningful choices about when and where to receive their treatment.’
Free information service provided by Cancer Research UK about cancer and cancer care for people with cancer and their families. Information is formatted in such a way that makes understanding the website an easy process
largest charity in the UK devoted to the care and treatment of people with diabetes in order to improve the quality of life for people with the condition
This website has been revamped to meet the needs of the thousands of people with asthma who visit the site each day, either to find important information about asthma and how to control it
Comprehensive information for people with all forms of dementia.
British Lung Foundation
The British Lung Foundation provides information and support to patients suffering from a wide range of lung conditions.
Tips on evaluating the reliability of online medical information
- Use sites from reputable organisations you have heard of.
- Double check the information by looking for other sources.
- Check there are contact details for any organisation or people responsible for the information not just an email address.
- Look at the advertising - does it seem to unduly influence the site content?
- All articles should quote references that you can look up.
- Watch out for claims about the superiority of any particular treatment over another
- Is this information supplied with a date to make sure it has not been superseded by other research.
- Check the sites confidentiality policy.
- Beware of sites claiming to be the definitive source.
- Beware of sites that criticise others.